The Things We Don’t Talk About….
There are things we all live through, but we don’t always talk about them.
Memories. Situations. Moments that changed the way we think, the way we behave, or even the way we see ourselves.
Some of them made us happy.
Some of them made us sad.
And some of them did both.
Maybe that’s why there are things we don’t talk about.
Not everything needs to be said.
Some things are private. Some people can talk about what they have been through because they have already faced it, understood it, or moved past it. Others can’t.
For me, there are things I can talk about only when I’m standing in front of someone I truly trust. If I don’t trust the person, or I don’t know them well enough, there are things I will never talk about.
And I think that’s normal.
There are also things that look normal from the outside but aren’t necessarily easy.
Like when someone hurts you, and the next day they act as if nothing happened.
They talk to you normally.
They laugh.
They continue the day as if what happened was completely ordinary.
But it isn’t necessarily ordinary for the person who was hurt.
Just because something looks normal doesn’t mean it feels normal.
Sometimes, when someone asks me, “Are you okay?”
I say, “I’m fine.”
Even when I’m not.
Maybe because there are things that accumulate inside us. Situations, experiences, moments that slowly become heavier than they look from the outside.
A person can look strong and still be very weak inside in certain situations.
And silence doesn’t always mean there is nothing to say.
To me, silence is like a painting without colors.
There can be so much inside it, even when nothing is being said.
Sometimes silence is accumulation.
Words that weren’t said.
Feelings that weren’t expressed.
Things that kept filling up, like a volcano.
And if everything keeps building up without a place to go, eventually it can explode at the wrong time, in the wrong place, with the wrong person.
Maybe that’s one of the things we don’t talk about enough.
Not every relationship continues because everything is fine.
Sometimes relationships change because of things that happen between people.
Someone tells a story about another person, and someone else believes it without ever hearing the other side.
But how can a relationship remain clear if only one side is heard?
I’m not saying that one person is always right.
I’m saying that sometimes you need to hear both sides.
You need to know the person, the situation, and the relationship itself before deciding what something means.
And then there is something even more uncomfortable:
People’s real feelings.
Someone can sit with you.
Talk to you.
Go out with you.
Laugh with you.
And still have completely different feelings inside.
They might dislike you. They might hate you. They might not even be able to tolerate you.
But they don’t say it.
Maybe most people do this in one way or another.
We hide things because they are embarrassing.
Because they are painful.
Because saying them feels like opening a wound that has only just started to heal.
And sometimes we hide them because of other people’s judgment.
We live in a society where the opinions of other people can become such a big part of life that we forget they are still just other people.
Sometimes we give people a place in our lives that they never really earned.
We allow their opinions to become heavier than our own feelings.
And maybe that’s why being honest with yourself matters so much.
There is also the pressure to always look okay.
From society.
From family.
From work.
From social media.
And sometimes from ourselves.
We can allow ourselves to be affected by something we had no control over, and then carry the pressure of it as if it were our responsibility.
We become exhausted by something we didn’t even cause.
And while we’re trying to look okay, something inside us is still dealing with it.
Maybe that’s why I don’t always see being busy as the answer.
Having free time can be good.
Sometimes it’s necessary.
But for me, too much empty time can become something completely different.
It can bring back thoughts I don’t want to revisit.
It can bring back the past.
Old problems.
Bad situations.
Thoughts that aren’t logical.
Things I thought I had already left behind.
So I prefer being busy.
Not because being busy solves everything.
It doesn’t.
But sometimes being occupied gives the emptiness somewhere else to go.
It fills part of the space instead of allowing that space to be filled by everything that has already happened.
And then there is loneliness.
I don’t think loneliness is something that can be properly described by someone who hasn’t lived it.
Loneliness is not one thing.
It has branches.
You can be lonely while surrounded by people who are laughing and living normally.
You can be lonely in a large group full of positivity.
You can be lonely around certain people.
And you can be completely alone with no one around you.
Every version has its own meaning.
Right now, I can be living among people and still feel lonely.
Not because there is no one physically around me.
But because I don’t have someone I can truly talk to and exchange things with comfortably.
Sometimes, the only person I can talk to freely is myself.
And God.
There is a kind of loneliness that is difficult to explain because it isn’t simply about being alone.
It’s about not having someone who feels like a place where your words can go.
Maybe that’s another thing we don’t talk about.
We talk about being surrounded by people.
But we don’t always talk about what it feels like to still feel alone among them.
And then there is failure.
I don’t like the idea of saying,
“I failed, therefore I am a failure.”
There is a difference between the two.
“I failed” can mean that I made a mistake.
Maybe I didn’t finish something.
Maybe something didn’t work.
Maybe I didn’t give it everything I had.
But that doesn’t make me a failure.
I can try again.
I can repeat the experience.
I can learn from it.
I can fail again and try again.
Failure doesn’t have to be the end.
Sometimes I also prefer not to tell people what I’m working on before I finish it.
Not because I don’t believe in myself.
But because people sometimes project their own limitations onto someone else’s attempt.
Someone can hear what you’re trying to do and immediately tell you it won’t work.
Why?
Why decide the ending before the beginning?
Maybe it will work.
Maybe it won’t.
But at least let the person try.
Experience itself teaches us this.
Experience is like a school.
You enter the exam.
You either pass or fail.
If you fail, you repeat the experience until you understand it.
There are things I learned late because I had to live through them first.
And maybe that’s the only way some lessons can be learned.
There is also something very simple that I learned:
It’s okay to say, “I don’t know.”
There was a time when I kept saying, “I know.”
Even when I didn’t.
I put myself in a position where I had to keep proving that I knew everything, until it felt like I was a nail and everyone else was a hammer.
Hit after hit.
Until I finally cracked.
Now, if someone asks me if I know something and I don’t, I can simply say no.
I can say that it hasn’t passed by me.
And that’s okay.
Not knowing isn’t something shameful.
It’s natural.
It’s actually a right everyone has.
Maybe the things we don’t talk about aren’t always huge secrets.
Sometimes they’re just simple sentences.
“I hate this.”
“I love this.”
“I’m sad.”
“I’m happy.”
“I wish for this.”
“I don’t know.”
“I miss something.”
“I don’t want this.”
“I feel something I don’t know how to explain.”
Maybe people hide these simple truths because they don’t know what will happen after saying them.
But sometimes I wish people were more honest about what they actually feel.
If you hate someone, say what you feel.
If you love someone, say what you feel.
If you can’t tolerate someone, be honest about it.
Not because every feeling needs to become an action, but because knowing what someone actually feels can save us from fighting battles with our own emotions.
I would rather know someone’s real feelings than spend my time trying to understand intentions that were never spoken.
And maybe that’s what I wish people understood about emotions.
You don’t always have to explain them to everyone.
But you should at least be honest with yourself about them.
Because when you are honest with yourself, something changes.
You let out what has been inside you.
The sadness.
The happiness.
The things you suppressed.
The things you couldn’t say.
You don’t have to wait for someone else to understand every part of you.
Sometimes, you can start with yourself.
And when you are honest with yourself, other people’s words become smaller.
Their judgment becomes smaller.
Their criticism becomes smaller.
Not because people suddenly stop having opinions,
but because you already know yourself.
You already know what you feel.
You have already faced yourself honestly.
And when you have done that, whatever anyone else throws at you doesn’t have the same power.
Maybe that is one of the things we don’t talk about enough:
Sometimes the person you need to be honest with first is yourself.
Comments
Post a Comment